Intanguinee

5.09.2007

Nerdly pursuits

I haven't posted for a while. A long while. Nevertheless, a few things merit a renewed bloggitude (attitude disposed toward blogging).

First is the fact that Merriam-Webster now has a permanent link to their "Open Dictionary." I originally discovered their list of "Favorite Words Not in the Dictionary," and apparently there were enough nerds out there to make it permanent fixture. It is here. I thought one of the recent additions particularly deserved mention on Intanguinee, given the circumstances surrounding its inception and naming:

macroleximorpheme (noun) : a large word, esp. one that is overly large. Derived from the three words macro (big), lexis (vocabulary), and morpheme (word).


Second, contronyms. I really enjoy this concept. A contronym (as opposed to synonym or antonym) is a word that is its own opposite. Others with word obsessions who perk up just reading the previous sentence might enjoy this site.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home