New idiom: "Boundaries Bender"
A Boundaries Bender takes place when a person--usually one who has just recently discovered the concept of "boundaries" (as described in the "Boundaries" series by Cloud & Townsend, whereby an individual takes responsibility for his/her own actions and emotions, but does not try to take responsibility for anyone else's)--takes the concept to an extreme and just ends up being heartless and mean.
Example: "I asked her for a ride to church because my car broke down, but she just told me it wasn't her responsibility to deal with my problems. She's on a Boundaries Bender. If she doesn't come down soon, she may quit changing her baby's diapers because she thinks he should be able to take care of that himself."
Example: "I asked her for a ride to church because my car broke down, but she just told me it wasn't her responsibility to deal with my problems. She's on a Boundaries Bender. If she doesn't come down soon, she may quit changing her baby's diapers because she thinks he should be able to take care of that himself."
2 Comments:
huh...I think I known a few of those people in my life! How in the world did you come up with this one?
By
Anonymous, at 5/24/2007 8:59 AM
Haha... yeah, I may be turning into one. Probably not. But I was talking with someone who has some issues with her living situation, and I was agreeing with her that some boundaries were probably needed, but then said that I might just be on a boundaries bender. It just came out of my mouth without any thought; I actually made myself laugh because I wasn't expecting it. It was awesome.
By
mollysidera, at 5/24/2007 9:06 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home