Pirates of the English Language
I saw the third Pirates of the Caribbean this weekend. Since this is a blog about language, I will not offer my thoughts on the movie itself; rather, I will simply report that it has some of the best one-liners I have heard in a while. If you haven't seen the movie and don't want to have the humor spoiled, do not read the rest of this blog. For those of you who have seen it, or don't need to be surprised, I offer what I consider the best two lines of the movie (or at least the most reliable transcriptions of which I have found online so soon after its release):
For Sheer Brilliance: "Permit me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket."
For the Beauty With Which the Phrase Warps Sentence Structure: She is "...a woman scorned, like which hell hath no fury than." [Edit: I knew this didn't sound quite right, but it was the closest thing I could find online. Further quotes are coming out, and I've found one which rings truer to me, as I thought the phrase originally ended with with the negative. It is: "She is a woman scorned, fury like which hell hath no." Of course, Johnny Depp's delivery makes the spoken sentence even more awkward and bizarre than it is when written.]
It was truly a treat for a language nerd like me. I quite literally slapped my knee. Actually both knees.
For Sheer Brilliance: "Permit me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket."
For the Beauty With Which the Phrase Warps Sentence Structure: She is "...a woman scorned, like which hell hath no fury than." [Edit: I knew this didn't sound quite right, but it was the closest thing I could find online. Further quotes are coming out, and I've found one which rings truer to me, as I thought the phrase originally ended with with the negative. It is: "She is a woman scorned, fury like which hell hath no." Of course, Johnny Depp's delivery makes the spoken sentence even more awkward and bizarre than it is when written.]
It was truly a treat for a language nerd like me. I quite literally slapped my knee. Actually both knees.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home