Intanguinee

7.11.2007

Corporation'd!!! ~ Ow, my ability to speak naturally!!!

So we all know that we're supposed to be politically correct at work, right? Well, it irritates me. For example, in years past, I would have been called a secretary. But apparently that word is somehow demeaning. So I am now an Administrative Assistant. But that is becoming taboo as well, as evidenced by the fact that we now celebrate "Administrative Professionals" day, and I once applied for a job as an "Administrative Technician." You know... I assist. It's what I do. Therefore, I am an assistant. Get over it. If you are an assistant and don't want to be called one, you have an opportunity to work on your ego problems.

Anyway, the use of that word actually isn't what this post is about, so I'll move on. I was just going through some e-mails and found one discussing the use of "variable staffing." Hmm. I opened it and discovered that it is from the agency that employs one of our contractors. Ah hah. Apparently we now need to call people "variable staff" instead of what we all know they really are... temps.

I was a temp for a long time, so I feel justified in applying my own standard to this: You work here temporarily. Therefore, you are a temp. It's not offensive, it's a fact.

Political correctness may be the end of us all. Or at least the end of our ability to communicate in normal, non-intanguian ways.

6 Comments:

  • I am a contractor, not a temp.

    Watch it, or I'll sue.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/11/2007 11:20 AM  

  • Hmm... jokes should be forthcoming...

    Things like:
    Hey, temp! Getting a little hot under the collar?

    Ha.

    Actually, that was lame. Perhaps I should stick with:
    Neener neener. You're a temp.

    By Blogger mollysidera, at 7/11/2007 2:02 PM  

  • Jerk. You're barely not a temp.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/11/2007 4:42 PM  

  • It's true, but it only takes the slightest bit of advancement to be able to look down on someone. Therein lies the secret of the corporate world...

    :-)

    By Blogger mollysidera, at 7/11/2007 7:33 PM  

  • Well, have fun looking down on me.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/12/2007 10:49 AM  

  • Don't worry, after like a week on the job, you can easily find someone else to look down on. And the beautiful pattern continues.

    Just beware...
    http://www.despair.com/pretension.html

    By Blogger mollysidera, at 7/12/2007 12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home